An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Weigh-In-Wednesdays




I began my journey to Become a Healthier Me on January 7, 2013.  Do to my excessive weight, my weight loss at the beginning will seem extreme – so please do not feel discouraged because you have not lost this much weight in 16 days.     With that said, I am pleased to announce that I lost 14.8 lbs. in 16 days. 


"In Your strength I can crush an army; with my God I can scale any wall." Psalm 18:29


I still have a long way to go on my journey, but I know that with God’s help and with His strength I can  crush the army of Satan and all of his obstacles he will place on my journey; and I can scale any wall that Satan will try to place in front of me in order to block – or cause me to give up.  I know that the Battle of the Bulge is a lifelong battle, but in the end I will be victorious because I am a soldier in God’s army. 

The past two weeks I have had a few challenges:

 First, I was trying to figure out the amount of calories I am to eat in a day.  If I eat the amount that most calorie calculators tell me to eat at the beginning to lose weight, I will gain weight.  For some reason they must believe that all morbidly obese people sit around all day eating boat loads of food.   So after talking with one of the bariatric doctors she calculated that I should eat below 1800 calories a day.  I shared with her that sometimes I find it difficult to eat all that I am to eat in one day.  She told me that if I am full/comfortable, then don’t eat any more.   She said, “Listen to your body, it will tell you when it has had enough food.”  So I find that anywhere from 1400 to 1600 calories a day is enough for my body.  I am satisfied not full. 

Another challenge has been getting in enough protein and vegetables in my diet.  I have found that if one of my snacks is a protein shake I feel rejuvenated.  I have a NutriBullet.  It is so much better than an ordinary juicer.  Since I am not a lover of vegetables I have found that if I mix fresh veggies like spinach, carrots, kale, beets etc… with a fruit (I like blueberries) and my protein powder I have a very tasty and healthy snack that includes at least two helpings of vegetables and one helping of fruit.  I am still trying to find other ways to get my vegetables down. 

Now some blessings this past week:

1)       I started a facebook group of friends and family who will commit to be my prayer warriors and encouragers along with helping me to be accountable in my Journey to Become a Healthier Me.  If you would like to be a part of this group please let me know.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/becomeahealthierme/
2)      I received word that my disability insurance carrier was going to change effective March 1st.  I became a little anxious since I am in the process of have gastric bypass surgery.  As I continued to read the letter my eyes popped and my heart skipped a beat – God be praised! One of my choices for insurance is Geisinger – the very medical group all my doctors are in and the name of the hospital that I will have the surgery!  Our God is so good – all the time!
3)      My dear husband, Jim, is so encouraging.  He is so easy to cook for and does not complain about the food I serve him.  He does not bring into the house foods that tempt me.  I know that one day I will be able to be in the same room as some of those foods and not be tempted or fall into temptation to eat the food. 
4)      Everyone in my life – family and friends, are on board and very supportive on my journey to Become a Healthier Me.  I am so thankful for each of them and their words of encouragement mean the world to me.  They lift me up daily. 
5)      Most of all but not least, I praise the Lord for lifting me up out of depression and despair as He brings me new hope for a new beginning. 


“You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever!” Psalm 30:11-12



P.S. As for this week’s Planks Challenge – I will continue with my wheelchair exercises.  One day ladies I hope to do Planks!  The water challenge – no problem – I average 96 oz. of water a day.  



6 comments:

bp said...

:) Enjoyed reading your update!

Anonymous said...

Oh What a GREAT start you've had!!!!! So happy for you. YOu have SOOOO got this!!! You can and will do it. Keep on keeping on. We are all here to cheer you on along the way. So glad you are a part of our group. Super proud of you for modifying the exercise portion of our challenge to suit what you need to do. AWESOME!!!

Michele Williams said...

thank you ladies for your encouragement and prayers. I wish I could do the exercise challenge but with my physical challenges I have to modify by doing sittersize.....

BARBIE said...

You are doing a fabulous job. And no worries with not being able to do the challenges. You are a winner just by doing something. Blessings!

Denise said...

You are doing awesome, love you.

Anonymous said...

Hello There! I found your blog through the WIW link up from Kim's.

I absolutely love Psalm 18:29 that you shared here, what an ENCOURAGEMENT!

Praise the Lord for the wonderful support He is surrounding you with so that you can take the steps you need to be victorious in this battle. You sounds like you also are taking wonderful healthy steps for your nutrition as well, which is fantastic! I look forward to hopefully being able to encourage and be encouraged by you on your journey. :)

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25