An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Monday, January 28, 2013

Self-Will or God-Will?



“I command you-be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1:9 NLT

As I continue with my journey on becoming a healthier me, I have joined a couple of online support groups along with reading and studying the book by Mary Englund Murphy, Winning the Battle of the Bulge It’s NOT just about the Weight.  It is so important to have people around that you can turn to when you are having a difficult day or just need some advice or encouragement; actually, it’s good to have support from others no matter what you are going through.  But it is especially helpful when one has an illness, addiction, weight issues, or major life change. 

As important as it is to receive help from individuals, it is even more important to know we have the support/help from the One who has all the answers, loves and knows us better than  we  ourselves – the Lord our God. 

There was a question Mary asks in the study guide that hit me like a ton of bricks.  “Enlistment implies commitment.  In the past, you probably committed to a diet plan.  What are you committing to now?”   I sat there a moment a little perplexed, what does she mean?  I have to commit to a diet plan right?  Then the bricks came tumbling down over my head!  It’s not all about the diet – Yes, I must commit to become a healthier me – Physically, Mentally, and Spiritually – But more importantly I must commit to being what and who God wants me to be – What He created me to be – I must commit every aspect of my life into His most capable hands and allow Him to give me the tools I need to become a healthier me. 

So in other words, before when I dieted, I committed to a thing – diet – but now I commit to God to provide the tools I need to win this battle of the bulge. 

We all battle many things throughout our day. When a soldier enlists in the Army he is not immediately sent to battle without the proper gear/tools and training he needs to become all he can be for the Army.  The same is said for us as we battle daily the powers of darkness – the prince of this world.  We must put on the whole armor of God every day in order to fight the many battles that will come our way.  To win the battle of the bulge I must arm myself with God’s armor and it will help me to stand strong, be courageous as obediently follow my Commander in Chief into the battle of the bulge. 

Yes, the battle of the bulge is a lifelong battle and I am writing about my battle on one of my blogs, My Journey to a Healthier Me , but the Word of God says, “Do Not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  Isn’t it encouraging to know that wherever we go- whatever we do we have the Lord and all of his wisdom, goodness and strength to bring us through whatever this world brings upon us. 

“Dear gracious Heavenly Father, I will place all my needs – including becoming a healthier me – into Your most cable hands.  I will no longer rely on “self-control” or “self-willed” to become healthy, I will instead become “God willed” – “God controlled”.  For I know You can do considerably better with my life than I have been doing!”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post and such a great reminder.... We must have clear perspective on why it is we strive to care for our bodies. They are the temple of the living God. PS ~ Made to Crave is an excellent book if you haven't read it yet. Have a great start to your week!!!

Denise said...

Awesome reminder.

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25