An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Friday, January 18, 2013

My Journey To a Healther Me



Last week I announced that I was going to share a major life change and become a healthier me.
As most of you are aware, and of course just by viewing photos of me, you know that I am – well to coin the medical term – morbidly obese.  I have struggled with my weight almost all my adult life.  Like so many people I have dieted, loss weight, gained weight plus more, dieted and ….. Well you get the idea… yo-yo dieting.  Unfortunately all this yo-yo dieting has taken a toll on my body.  

Along with all this yo-yo dieting I have suffered with multiple chronic health issues for almost 30 years.  Between eating like most Americans – larger portions than we need, and taking multiple medications that promote weight gain, my weight has gone to an all-time high.   

Upon several years of soul searching, prayer, seeking guidance from family, friends, and doctors, I have finally received peace that gastric bypass surgery is the right lifestyle change for me to become a healthier me.   Some of the things that helped me decide were:  extremely low metabolism; I have become non-weight bearing do to weight and chronic health conditions; certain personal needs; and a husband who now has debilitating chronic health issues that will only become worse over time. It’s time for me to be able to take care of my needs, do more around the house, and take care of my husband for a change.  

I know that many of you may think this is way too drastic or why can’t you just lose weight dieting?  Please know that I have not come by this decision lightly.  And I am NOT taking the “easy” way out!  There is NO easy way when it comes to gastric bypass.  It will be the hardest thing I will ever do in my life.  It will totally change me – literally inside and out.  

What I desire of each of you is to be my prayer warriors.  If all goes according to planned I will have surgery June or July of this year.  In the mean time I am to lose a certain amount of weight prior to surgery; take behavior modification classes; diet classes; support groups; and multiple doctor visits and exams. 
I plan on journaling my progress, thoughts and prayers on my personal blog, http://beelieve-ahealthierme.blogspot.com/ .  I ask that if you desire to follow my progress, be my prayer warrior, or just jot an encouraging word, that you would click to follow my blog so you can get updates.  These blog posts will be separate from my other blog/website - http://www.beelieveyoucan.net/  .  Also, the facebook support group page is:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/becomeahealthierme/  If you wish to join the group please let me know.  

I have quite a journey ahead of me.  Hold on tight because I moving forward and not looking back.  

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”   Philippians 4:13

4 comments:

Denise said...

You have my love, prayers, hugs, blessings, and support sweety.

Debbie Petras said...

I will be praying for you my friend. Here's to a healthier new year.

blessings and love,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

So happy for you to take the steps needed to finding healthy in 2013!! Looking so forward to your successes along the way!!!

Michele Williams said...

Thank you ladies for coming along with me on my journey. I truly appreciate your prayers and encouragement.

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25