An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Becoming a Healthier Me Post Gastric Bypass – Part 4 - There's No Place Like Home






I sounded like Dorothy on the Wizard of Oz on the drive home I kept saying to myself, “There’s no place like home!  There’s no place like home!”  If I could have clicked my shoes to get home faster I would have done it right in the car. 

When I entered our house I said, “I’m home!”  Of course there was no one there to greet me (our dog was still at our daughter’s home – and the cats – well they’re cats!  Lol), but it was so good to say, “I’m HOME!” 

Jim made sure I was settled and had everything I needed before he had to go back to work.  I encouraged him to go to work because all I wanted to do was rest and sleep.   I laid back on my recliner but it’s not the same as my own bed; but could I lie down and then get out of bed by myself?  After all, this is not a hospital bed, but I was determined – and that was enough!  I slowly sat down on the side of the bed, then I leaned my body on my left elbow, then I lifted my legs onto the bed and lowered myself onto my pillow laying on my side.  I fell fast asleep and woke up on the same side 3 hours later.  Oh, it felt so good to be in my own bed – so good to be home!

For the first time since my surgery I had finally slept through the night – and each night thereafter.  Each day I continue to grow stronger, though I still have trouble at times getting in all the protein and liquids I am supposed to consume each day.   Each of my doctors are amazed as to how well I am doing – and so am I! 

Considering I have been living with multiple chronic health conditions for over 30 years, my decision to have gastric bypass surgery was one of some risks and at the same time could help me to become a healthier me.  For ten years I have felt that the risks would be worth having the surgery in order to possibly become a healthier me – but I had to get others on board with my decision – family, doctors and finally insurance company.  For those who are considering the surgery but one or the entire aforementioned are not on board with your decision, I say – PERSEVERE!  If it is Go’s will – keep praying –it will happen- All in His time. 

Yes, there’s no place like home to recuperate.  I am so appreciative of all the prayers, cards and words of encouragement from family, friends, and online friends; I know that it is because of all the above that I am healing so well.   You are all part of my becoming a healthier me. 

Stay tune for my next entry:  My Insights Regarding My Care

2 comments:

Lynn Severance said...

Wonderful update, Michelle - so glad that you are making great progress! Continuing prayers!
Love, Lynn

Denise said...

Appreciate the update, love you.

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25