An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Becoming a Healthier Me Post Gastric Bypass Part 3 – Post Surgery Care

After the surgery on Monday, June17th I was transferred via ambulance on Wednesday, June 19th to a nursing/rehab facility to continue my recuperation closer to home.  Needless to say the 1 hour and 30 min. drive was extremely bumpy!  Why don’t they make ambulances with better shocks?  I truly believe parts of me drop off on the road!

To say that my stay in the care facility was not the best would be an understatement.   The moment I stepped foot into the facility I cried and wanted to go home.  First my room was in the nursing home unit; then the next day they transferred me to the rehab unit (a little better).  Then I found out that I was their first post-surgery gastric bypass patient.  They had NO idea how to care for me nor could they provide the nutrition I needed; all making me more determined to get strong enough to go home as soon as possible.  Jim had to daily bring my nourishment and place it in the small ice cooler chest we provided so that I could receive my nourishment every hour to 2 hours as needed now that I have a stomach the size of a small chicken egg. 

I also had to be alert regarding my medications.  All meds had to be either crushed or in liquid form, then placed in either half ounce of water or my protein drink.  Physical therapy was also interesting as well.  I had to educate them as to what I can and cannot do per surgeon’s instructions.  They wanted to work on my “other” chronic conditions that I have had for decades.  I told them that I was not in there for my chronic health conditions and those things can be taken care of as an outpatient. 

It did not take me long to realize that the facility wanted me to stay my full insurance approved 30 days.  I agreed to stay until my post-surgery follow-up with my surgeon the following Wednesday.  If the surgeon said I could go home, then I would go home the next day.  The surgeon was pleased with my progress and healing and gave permission for me to go home to continue my healing process.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic!  As I returned to the care facility I happily gave them the note/ discharge papers from my surgeon.  The next morning the facility still wanted me to stay, but I stood my ground and I left late morning, Thursday, June 27th. 

Oh, it is so good to be home! 
Stay tuned for more updates:  There’s No Place Like Home; Insights Regarding My Care


Denise said...

So glad you are home.

bp said...

:) Thanks for sharing your experiences. Glad you are home.

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25