An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Becoming a Healthier Me Gastric Bypass Part One





Hospital Stay & Pain -

After ten years of trying to get approval for weight loss surgery along with the past six months of dieting and participation in the bariatric weight loss program at Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, I finally had my gastric bypass surgery on Monday, June 17th. 

I must admit that the first 24 hours I doubted my decision to have the surgery.  The pain was excruciating.  Nothing seemed to relieve the pain.  I finally realized that much of the pain was gas pain due to the surgery itself.  Most people are able to walk up and down the hall after surgery to help eliminate the gas, but I was unable to walk due to extreme weakness, passing out when I stood up and my bad knees.  So the gas continued to build up inside of me causing my abdomen to feel as though it was tied up in knots and someone twisting the knots tighter and tighter.  Tuesday morning I asked if I could sit up in the chair to sleep.  This helped somewhat and I was able to alleviate some gas through small belches.   It wasn’t until early Friday morning, June 21st that I finally was able to pass gas.  I wanted to sing the Hallelujah chorus!  I felt like I had just come back from the dead!  LOL. From that day on I continued to feel better each day and gain strength.
 It may seem strange to openly talk about gas, but it is a natural “habit” and when one can no longer pass the gas that is built up in the body due to the surgery then it is most uncomfortable.  If you have any type of surgery and they suggest that you walk to help eliminate the gas I implore you to listen to the nurses; they know what they are talking about and truly want to help you to feel better. 

 Overall I had great care in the hospital.  Everyone was kind and helpful.  My surgeon, Dr. William Strodel is the best!  Really – he was chief of surgery and the most experienced surgeon on staff.  Two of the nursing assistance had the same surgery and they kept assuring me that it will be worth it in the end.  

I know they are right – I have my eye on the prize down the road – Becoming a Healthier Me!

Stay tune as I continue to journal about my experience with Gastric Bypass Surgery and Becoming a Healthier me!

Part 2 - Happy Birthday!
 

2 comments:

Denise said...

So very happy for you, love you.

Lynn Severance said...

Michele - so proud of you for all that hard work, enduring the surgery and now being on your way to "better".

As many of us have been praying for you, we now can understand more from your sharing these parts - most likely the hardest parts.

Onward!

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25