An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Friday, February 22, 2013

My Journey To a Healthier Me - Month 3





This week I felt a bit overwhelmed.  On Monday, Jim and I went to my monthly (this was my 3rd month) Bariatric Surgery appointments at the Geisinger Hospital in Danville, PA.  To save us time and money they try to combine all my monthly appointments on one day each month.  So on Monday I participated in the Behavior Class, medical appointment and bariatric support group.  I was given so much information that my head is still spinning.  They gave each of us a book to read, “Weight Loss Surgery, Finding the Thin Person Hiding Inside You”, by Barbara Thompson along with our Patient Education Binder.  The education binder covers the following: 

·         Personal Responsibility
·         Changing Lifestyle
·         Building Support
·         Managing Stress
·         Setting Goals
·         Eating Styles
·         Getting Active
·         Body Image

As you can see I have much to read and learn before and after surgery.  The support group meeting was interesting because they have people who have had the surgery share their experiences and then we can ask questions and address any concerns we may have regarding before and after surgery.  It was a very informative and candid meeting to say the least.  But I have to say that it was also encouraging to see and hear from individuals from all stages of life share their weight loss journey and each one losing an incredible amount of weight in such a short amount of time.  I think I enjoyed most of all their candidness as they shared some of the difficulties and yet all said if they had it to do it all over again they would still do it again.  So that is encouraging as well. 

Next month (month 4)will be my 2 hour Bariatric Medical Evaluation, metabolic assessment and schedule appointments for labs and ultrasound and any other tests the doctors feel I should have for a proper evaluation.  Then two weeks later I will have my psych eval for bariatric surgery.  Month 5 will be the Surgery Education Class with a member of the surgery team and another support group meeting.  Then the 6th month I am to have achieved and maintained my before surgery weight loss goal and hopefully receive the “green light” from both Behavioral Medicine and Registered Dietician along with complete a written test and have all my testing, labs and referrals completed.  When all is completed,  I will meet with the surgeon for his evaluation and together we will set the surgery date. Two weeks prior to surgery I will be on what is called Stage 2 Diet (High Protein liquids primarily). 

In the mean time I will continue dieting, journal my foods and feelings etc., study all the materials and get myself ready mentally, physically and spiritually for the biggest challenge and change of my life  - but a journey that will help me to become a healthier me. 

So please continue to pray for me and my lifelong journey to become a healthier me.  So far I am more than halfway to my pre-surgery weight loss goal.  I have lost 25 lbs so far.  It’s going slow, but I can do it!!!  Yes, I do Beeleive I Can! 


"In Your strength I can crush an army; with my God I can scale any wall." Psalm 18:29

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
You remain in my prayers! It certainly sounds like a difficult process, but as you say, it will be so worth it. Keep up the good work!
Linda from WIW

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is a lot of information, and what a journey you are own. However, I love the verse you've included with this. I will be lifting you up in prayer dear sister as you continue on this journey each week. Congratulations on the loss so far! So happy for the steps you are taking for a healthier you! ^_^ dropping by from the WIW link up.

Denise said...

Praying, praying, praying.

Debbie Petras said...

Good for you! It may seem like a long journey but it is a good one. We will be praying for you along the way. With God all things are possible.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

luvmy4sons said...

You can do it! Jesus, please intercede and provide all she needs. Thank You Lord!

Michele Williams said...

thank you so much ladies for your support and prayers... I greatly need them...

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25