An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Are You S.M.A.R.T?




Proverbs 21:5 ESV  
The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.

Definition of GOAL:   “A goal is a desired result a person or a system envisions, plans and commits to achieve—a personal or organizational desired end-point in some sort of assumed development”  Wikipedia

I find it interesting that when I was employed I had daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly plans/goals.  As a pastor’s wife, leader within the church I also made said plans and goals.  But I have noticed that over the years as my chronic illnesses took hold of my body they also took hold of setting plans/goals for my personal life.  I seemed to have given up on personal goals since so many days my chronic health would tell my body –“not today”.  Yet I have found that it is prudent to set short-term reachable goals.  I certainly would not set a short-term goal for myself to walk around the neighborhood.  Not when at this time I am restricted to non-weight bearing activities.  But I can set a goal to daily or even every other day use the video my sister gave me for Easy Chair Exercises. 

Habakkuk 2:2-3 ESV
“And the Lord answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it. For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.”

As I reignited my journey to become a healthier me, I have been working on my goals:  Physical, Mental, and Spiritual goals.  On January 22, 2013 I set some short-term goals and I am currently working on my long-term goals as well setting new short term goals. 

January 22, 2013 Goals for next 12 weeks:  (I will share a few)

Physical Goals:  

1.       To lose 20 lbs. or more.   2/13/13 – 24.1 lbs. lost
2.       To be able to stand or walk a little longer than I do now.  I can walk back and forth from kitchen (front of house) to our bathroom (back of house) two times without stopping. 
3.       To be able to walk into church with my walker – not use a wheelchair.  .  I believe I can do this; we just have not been to church in a few weeks due to Jim’s back and weather.
4.       To be able to get behind the wheel of the van so I can drive once again.
5.       To begin and continue using the easy chair exercise video my sister gave me.  Yes I can!
6.       To be down at least one pant size.  Let’s see – bra cup – baggie; tops – baggie; pants baggie – maybe it’s time to get out the next size in clothes I have in storage.  

Mental Goals:

1.       Not hate myself for getting this way in the first place.  Getting better with this one.
2.       Have a more “Yes I can” attitude.  Again, working on this one –
3.       Not have so many “down” “depressed” days.  In the progress….
4.       To think better about myself.  Again, working on this one….
5.       Not get discouraged and give up when I partake something above my calorie intake. I’m still here!

Spiritual Goals:

1.       See myself as God sees me. – A work in progress.
2.       To be in the Word and Prayer more often.  Oh, yes,  I am enjoying the hours with the Lord.
3.       To heed to the Holy Spirit’s voice as I am tempted.  A work in progress.
4.       To become more equipped for the Battle of the Bulge.  Every day I am getting more and training and equipped.
5.       To realize the Battle of the Bulge is NOT just about the weight and to find out what else I am battling.  Each day there are battles fought – some maybe a draw – but mostly by the end of each day the battle is won and ready for another day.  

As you can see I have met or at least I am a work in progress in regards to my short term goals. I have set S.M.A.R.T.  goals for myself so I will not get discouraged and give up. I am committed to the Commander in Chief of my life.  I know that the Battle of the Bulge is a lifelong battle.  I also know that as long as I continue in this battle and do not surrender to the enemy – this battle can and WILL be won! 

Food for Thought:  

Not all my goals are entirely weight related.  There are many people who experience some of the issues that I am experiencing and do not have a weight problem.  Have you set short and long term goals in your life?  This week, write down your physical goals; mental goals; and spiritual goals.  Work out a plan of action on how you will obtain these goals.  Are there any goals you would like to share with us? 

Dear Lord, I ask that you continue to help each of us reach our attainable goals.  May we realize who our enemy is, and commit ourselves to you, our Commander in Chief of our life and battles; knowing that in the end we will become victorious!  And we give all honor and glory to you.  Amen.


5 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

Michelle, I know you can do this! SMART goal setting is so good. One step at a time is the way to go. I pray that you will see yourself as the Lord sees you (with such love).

Sending you a hug,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I totally remember SMART goals from my "corporate career woman" days. I do agree that having short term goals are just as important as the long term goals, because those short term goals help you see those steps and celebrate those miles across the entire journey. ^_^ Thank you for the inspiration!

Helen Tisdale said...

Michelle! What a beautiful & inspiring post you wrote today! I just BELIEVE you are going to see massive changes in your health; body, soul & spirit this year! You portray such a beautiful spirit! So glad to know you!

Denise said...

Very encouraging, love you.

Michele Williams said...

Thank you so much ladies for your encouragement and prayers. I have a long road ahead of me... but it will be worth it in the end!

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25