An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What Character Trait Do You Need to Develop?


Each week in the study, Winning the Battle of the Bulge,It’s Not Just About the Weight, the author, Mary Englund Murphy, suggests we pray and ask the Lord to reveal a character trait that we need to develop.  Well, I’m in the fourth week in the study and each week the Lord reveals the same character quality! It’s sad but funny – One of my character traits that I need to develop is to be CONSISTENT. Well Lord at least I’m CONSISTENT with something!  Alright, I guess being consistent in NOT developing this character does not qualify.

I looked up the definition of CONSISTENT –Possessing firmness or coherence; Marked by harmony, regularity, or steady continuity: free from variation or contradiction; marked by agreement; showing steady conformity to character.  Constantly adhering to the same principles, course, and form.  

Wow, that just hit the nail on the head?  I tend to find it difficult to stay on course –steady as she goes.  I seem to be more like the hare in a race when I start something.  I’m all gun-ho- full speed ahead until I lose fuel or desire to forge ahead no matter the cost – then I quit! Instead of the hare, I need to be more like the tortoise, keeping myself on a pace that I can continue for the long run.  This battle is a lifelong battle – one that needs consistency – looking ahead and not behind.  There may be others who will reach their goals ahead of me – but I must not lose hope.  If I just keep my focus on my Lord, and the final finish line, I WILL obtain my goals.

At the beginning of any diet, the first 20 lbs. come off extremely fast for me.  It’s my body adjusting to the change in eating habits, but after the first 20 lbs. the rest comes off so slowly that I become overwhelmed when I consider how much weight I still have to lose.   I need to stop focusing on how many pounds I have to lose and just focus on one day at a time – one pound at a time.  Becoming a Healthier ME! 

It’s a daily struggle.  I have a form of ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder).  My mind wonders in every direction with so many thoughts and ideas.  I had a counselor several years back that would tell me (in his strong India accent), “Michele, you need to focus”.   I would reply, “That’s easier said than done!” It’s so hard to stay focus, especially if what I am doing is slow, tedious and “seemingly” non- productive.    I need to remember that not everything comes along quickly.  This weight did not come on overnight – and it will not come off overnight either!  I must commit every part of my life to the Lord; resist the devil and his tactics that would tempt me to run off course. 


“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.” Hebrews 12:1 (NLT)

Lord, I know that this battle of the bulge is more than just weight.  Reveal to me every weight that is slowing me down to become a Healthier Me; especially the sin that easily trips me up and entice me to run off course or even quit.  Lord, this battle is a lifelong battle – May I be consistent and run with endurance to the finish line!

What character trait do you need to develop and why do you need to develop this quality? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you know the Lord is being consistent with bringing up the word "consistent" in your heart! :) Seriously though, reading through your words, you sound like you are seeing and recognizing HOW to become more consistent. PRAISE! It is true that the weight doesn't appear overnight, so we can't realistically expect it to come off over night either. Keep staying the course with the Lord by your side, and you will find that road to consistency! :) I also LOVE the verse you share here.

Michele Williams said...

Thank you Razella. I will continue to stay on course.

Denise said...

love and prayers sweet friend.

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25