An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Journey To A Healthier Me - Update

It's been two weeks since I last posted. Time sure flies. These past couple of weeks I have been busy...for me that is. The past few months I had been planning a family reunion to be held this past Saturday, but an unexpected guest choose to crash the party - Hurricane Irene! I was really upset that we had to cancel, but we had to make sure everyone was safe. We did get lots of heavy rain and wind in our area, other areas in our state as well as much of the northeast got hit pretty hard. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who were affected by the hurricane. One "mixed" praise in all this - where we were to have the reunion/picnic (which is on our church property), had three trees come down. Praise the Lord no one was present at the time.


Our grandson Travis spent a few days with us before the hurricane. He was helping me with the final plans for the reunion. Speaking of Travis, please continue to pray for his health. A few weeks ago he was in the hospital with chest pain and fast heart rate. The doctor put him on a beta blocker, but yesterday during his follow-up visit his heart rate is still too fast so he increased his dosage. Also Travis has been having pain and numbness in the leg they went through when he had emergency dialysis a couple of years ago. The doctor wants him to have some kind of scan that will tell whether or not he has some kind of vascular block in his leg. If it is then they can fix it with surgery. If it is not that then it may be neuropathy and there is no cure for that. He will suffer from that the rest of his life. So even though we don't like the thought of a blockage, at least something can be done to take care of that problem. It may be several months before we find out anything. So we appreciate your prayers. Travis is taking all this in stride. He is growing up so fast - he will be 17 in October.


My weight loss is at a stand still. In two weeks I have lost a pound. This makes my weight loss total at 43 lbs. Please pray that the weight loss continues and I do not get discouraged. I know this is probably my body adjusting to my weight loss.

Another praise - this week I have been able to do some cleaning at home. I have been able to get up early and work a few hours each day cleaning and going through boxes that we have had stored in our spare room since we moved in February. With my health issues it takes me longer than most people to do physical activities, but this week the Lord has given me strength to do the things that have needed to get done for months. I learned to pace myself and used my wheelchair to assist me. My left knee is shot and has been going "out" on me - at times I cannot put any weight on that leg. I wish the doctors would take care of the knee but they insist on me loosing weight first. I still have more work to get done but I know.... in time. I cannot overdo it or I will be down for weeks.

Now for the biggie - we have a "new" baby! She about 6 lbs. Too cute and already house trained. Yes, we rescued a black toy poodle. She is about 4 1/2 years old and so loving. It's as if she has lived here all her life. I know Jim and I said no more dogs but I fell in love with her right away. Jim said, "the dog or me".... and I said, "the dog!" LOL.... Later that night I found Princess (we did not name her) in Jim's lap and she won him over too! Even my mom- who is not necessarily an animal lover allowed Princess on her lap! Princess has a way of charming all who meet her.

Also this week was the start of school again. It was so nice having Jim home this summer. I miss him during the day. Summer break is far too short. Keep him in your prayers. He has to teach several classes and do his administrative duties as well. This week he was unable to do any of his administrative duties. Pray he can find a balance.


Well this was the highlights of the past couple of weeks. Even though we (Northeast USA) have been through an earthquake and hurricane, it has been a productive couple of weeks for me. Through all the challenges God has been faithful and continues to be the strength of my heart. God is good... All the time.

No comments:

An anxious heart weighs a woman down, but a kind word cheers her up. Proverbs 12:25